Thursday, January 03, 2008

Frozen summer.

On the 29th my dad and I decided to take a drive out to the lake to see if we could catch a glimpse of the swans that hang around there in the winter. Sure enough! After crossing the little creek at the picnic site, pushing our way through the deep snow, walking around the bend on the ice that only God knows how thin it was, we finally saw them! It was absolutely beautiful out there with all the fresh snow. On our way home we stopped at Grouchies and hiked in just because I had never been there in the winter before. WELL worth it! Next time I'll just go a little earlier in the day.

This picture makes me miss summer. BAD.
Calm..
I found these bird tracks that were bigger than my hand! Probably my swan friend's
Mucho snow..this is on the very tip of the right hand side of the picnic nite...I was sure we were going to fall through the ice and die
Three ducks in a row! (swans actually)
Lovely :) I was zoomed in..but not too far because I don't have a zoom lense..so again, I was risking my life on the ice. If I had cross country skis I could have gotten closer
Berries...but no bears
On our way into Grouchies..the snow was past our knees out there, but there was a path from other people hiking in
Perfect walking stick!
Winter wonderland
Trees.

I want to hike out there again earlier in the day (on a calm day that is) and have a fire with some people...so who ever's game, we must plan for it!

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Groucies is one of my favorite places. " berries, but no bears", I laughed so hard at this part!

Tanya said...

I'm always game for a fire...you know that ;)

Great pics...the snow sure is beautiful!!

Chris said...

Ross you take great pics you should enter some contests...

you should see if Justin wants to rise up for a challenge, 1 post per week no end date, till there's a winner? Me vs Him I figure we blog about the same amount :P

Darci said...

Wish I would've had your great idea on Christmas break!