
Hands down, this has become one of my most favourite books--ever! I originally thought this was a book about biblical issues--the treatment of women, the brutality of life, the differences in politics--but it is about so much more than that. The core of this story, (it's told from the perspective of Dinah, one of Jacob's daughters) is about sisterhood, the bonds between women, and how history often forgets their moving and deeply personal experiences. It's not a part of Oprah's book club (automatic positive) or even a feminist rant..The author seems too subtle for that. It was refreshing to read something that, in no way, had anything to do with what you usually see today in mainstream fiction. The book is beautifully written, completely mesmerizing, and definitely unforgettable. I'd recommend it to anyone who craves a grand paperback :)
Now that I've completed a middle of the night book review, I'm starting my new book! I must reward myself for being thisclose to finishing my last term paper of the semester.


1 comment:
I think I read this book last summer but now I can't remember if I did. Oh yeah now I remember, I read white oleander instead because it was wayyy cheaper at the second hand bookstore. One day after finals are over I will start to read real books again. sigh.
Post a Comment